How To Earn Tool Income and Become a Director on Orrin Woodward’s TEAM
It’s a mystery across virtually all MLM System Organizations.
How does one qualify to earn money from the sales of tools and function tickets?
There’s no System Income Disclosure Statement that’s handed out when showing the plan. After all, distributors want to show you how you can make tons of money selling juice, vitamins, laundry products, BBQ supplies or chocolate. They don’t want you to know — or they might not even known themselves — that a lot of money is made through the sales of books, CDs, seminar tickets and other business building materials.
My criticism and investigative efforts as of late have been focused on Orrin Woodward’s TEAM organization. My opinion is that he is doing people far more financial and emotional harm than good, and I want people to know exactly what they are getting themselves into when they align themselves with this self-proclaimed leadership guru. There’s been quite a bit of traffic coming from ex-TEAM members, and the discussion has been extremely illuminating. Here’s what I’ve learned about how one can profit from the plan within the plan, a.k.a. the tools and training business in TEAM.
This is going to be a long post, but it’s only because there’s so much information to absorb. Let’s get started!
First off, some definitions:
- TEAM Director: A TEAM member who has qualified for TEAM Pay from the sales of tools and function tickets.
- 50×25: 50 distributors deep on one leg and 25 distributors deep on the other leg.
- Turbo 25: 25 distributors on each leg who are attending seminars.
- Turbo 12: 12 distributors on each leg who are subscribed to TEAM’s training system and standing order ticket (SOT).
In order to become a TEAM Director and qualify for TEAM pay, you have to have 50×25 with verified Turbo 25 and Turbo 12 parameters.
If you reach this goal in a month, you’re looking at the following perks:
- $2000-3000/month in income — note this does not account for expenses.
- Edification from upline.
- Speaking opportunities at seminars — do you get to hold the microphone?
The income figure appears to be a combination of MonaVie bonuses and TEAM Pay. While TEAM encourages you to use this dollar figure while showing the plan, TEAM wants the prospect to think that all of this is coming from MonaVie, a.k.a. the “primary” way to make money from this business opportunity. Here is an excerpt from a TEAM memo to Directors, sent on February 24, 2011, that highlights this:
However, I want to remind you that Team’s Director Compensation Plan shouldn’t be presented to prospects or new distributors as an enticement or as one of the benefits of becoming a MonaVie Distributor being educated, led and fueled by Team. This is specifically referenced in the Director Requirements section of your Director Agreement (section 5.20). I have included the actual text below.
* Director understands that as a Director he, she, or it can be paid for his, her, or its service to Team. However, Team is not a business opportunity for any of our Members and a Director will never promote it as such nor will he, she or it allow others to do so.
The Policy Council recommends that you quote/explain earnings of 2 to 3 thousand a month in your plan and that as your business grows your income grows etc. If you have specific questions regarding how to explain/present please contact your Round Table or Policy Council Member.
Ah, so there is indeed a document, called the Director’s Compensation Plan, which explains all of this. That would be a good document to have and to analyze.
The next question is how people achieve these lofty numbers? Ex-TEAM members know the answer to this question.
Power Player anyone?
Power Players are TEAM’s elite distributors who are recognized on stage as the movers and shakers of TEAM. What are the qualifications for Power Player, you might ask? Well, there are over half-a-dozen CDs or brochures from TEAM that you would have to pay for to get this knowledge. Since this blog is about saving you money, I’m going to cut to the chase and describe it below. You can also view this information in PDF form:
Becoming a Power Player
- You are “on system” (subscribing to the full training system)
- 1st team 10 in depth, 4 on system
- 2nd team 5 in depth, 2 on system
- Subscribe to E.B.C. (Electronic Business Center)
- Generate 200PV and be on AutoShip
- Top 50 CD pack ($265)
- Go-getter – 15 plans a month
- Attend all local Open Meetings
- Attend all Monthly Seminars ($25-30/ticket)
- Attend all Leadership Conventions ($125/ticket)
- Team 10
Goodness gracious, that’s a lot of requirements! And, that’s a lot of money flowing through the TEAM coffers! Note only item #5 pertains to the MonaVie business. Everything else is TEAM/System related. Now, you know why the MLM business is really secondary. For many MLM Systems, the tools are the primary method1 to make lots of money.
Sources have told me that in order to reach 50×25 with Turbo 25 and Turbo 12, a distributor would have to go Power Player at least five times. Five times?!? I thought one could build this business on just a few extra hours a week or that the business would build itself just by drinking and sharing the juice? Is it just me, or is there a grand disconnect between how TEAM presents the business and how the business is really built???
If I were a prospect looking at TEAM/MonaVie, I would pass on the opportunity. It’s pretty clear that it represents too much time, effort and money for what you get. There are plenty of other ways to generate income and free up my time that don’t require this Herculean amount of effort.
Some questions for my readers:
- Are the current TEAM Leaders even qualifying for TEAM Pay these days?
- Can anyone reasonably go Power Player once, let alone three or five times?
- How much effort is required to maintain this status? Seems like it’s akin to building a sandcastle.
So there you have it, an explanation — subject to the changing whims of TEAM2 — on how to become a TEAM Director and qualify for TEAM Pay.
To Ex-TEAM and current TEAM members, please let me know if there are any corrections that need to be made to this explanation.
Corrections and Edits
- Added the date on which the TEAM memo was sent (February 24, 2011).
1 It’s no different for Brig Hart’s R3Global or Greg Duncan’s WWDB. Each System proudly proclaims that it’s the best System for creating leaders and building big MLM businesses. In my opinion, the only thing they are “the best at” is taking their distribtors’ money away!
2 Some Ex-TEAM distributors have been writing about how there tool income was taken away from them with no explanation. Well, miss just one of these qualifications — for instance, a child’s birthday party causes you to miss a montly seminar — and poof! Orrin decrees you are not worthy of Power Player status, and your TEAM pay is docked or eliminated. Sorry. Better luck next month.