Reader Story: Enough! Has Had Enough With TEAM
Here’s a story from the reader on my site known as Enough! Enough! has been reading this site for some time, and finally could not hold back with sharing his/her story.
I want to say thanks again to Amthrax and everyone who contributes to this blog. You have helped tremendously in my healing and the healing of many others I know.
I was involved with Team for over 5 years and when I think back on some of the crazy things I did to try to succeed it’s nauseating. I was in college when I joined and I didn’t have a car at the time, so for awhile I would ride my bike to all my plans (rain or shine). Wow, I must have looked pretty silly. For at least 3.5 years I averaged 3-5 hours of sleep a night, driving crazy hours of the night just to show plans. When I was out of college, 3 nights a week or so, I would leave from work and drive 4 hours away to different states, show a plan or follow through (many times getting no-showed) and drive home that night, sleep for a few hours and get up and do the same thing again. My upline always said you’re doing the un-average thing so you’ll succeed… well they were right about one thing… it certainly was un-average what I was doing (just no one told me how stupid it was). I thank God all the time that neither I nor anyone else I knew ever got in an accident from driving so much and going on so little sleep.
For at least 3 years I went go-getter every month, went power player a few times, but never really made any money. It’s amazing how the Team brainwashes people like me to stay in all those years while making basically nothing. And I was spending $1000 a month! I shelled out at least $60,000 to those crooks! And I know that’s probably nothing compared to what some of the big leaders on here spent! I was doing pretty much everything they told me to do, but when I wasn’t getting results, I was told that I needed to grow more and change to get the results. What bogus! It’s never anything wrong with the system.
After so many years of this, I started to have lots of health problems, similar to other stories you have heard. I’ve been in and out of the ER multiple times… one time being on my honeymoon!! Everything came to a breaking point for us when my spouse and I started to see some things that weren’t adding up.
- Where had many big leaders gone that had been with Orrin from the beginning… Abrahams, Freezes, Raatz’, etc?
- Why wasn’t Pastor Dickie speaking from stage anymore?
- Why was our upline going Power Player EVERY seminar and major but never moving on in the business?
- Why could we never talk about former friends and team members who had left the business?
- Was this really a B-type business if people who chose to spend more time with family get their income stripped from them for not being around as much?
- Why were we moving away from Monavie if Orrin had benchmarked 1800 companies and found Monavie to be superior?
- Was there really a benchmarking study Orrin? Or was that another lie told at EVERY open to lure people in?
These questions prompted us to talk with a former big Team leader who had left. It astonished us the lies and evilness Team leaders would go to for the almighty dollar! We wanted to hear the other side of the story, so we spoke with our PC to hear their side. After talking with them, it was clearly evident who was telling the truth! Everything we had known about the team was a flat-out lie!! We felt sick to our stomachs for having been fooled for so long.
After leaving, we have been shunned by our Team. I have friends who were in my wedding who won’t be our friends anymore because we aren’t in their business! However, our life has never been better being gone from the Team! After receiving help, I’m on my way to getting healthy. We have more money in the bank than we’ve had in years! We can genuinely enjoy being around family and friends without feeling guilty about not being out showing a plan. And we can sincerely serve God and his people without having ulterior motives. We’ve learned so much about what is truly important on this earth and it’s not building a big community so you can have a bunch of money! We are here to serve God and bring him glory.
I especially like the questions that Enough! starting asking when things weren’t adding up. These are the questions that TEAM members should be asking themselves (and their upline leaders) but rarely do because to the organization’s influence on members’ beliefs and actions:
- Members are told not to question one’s upline.
- Members are told not to talk to those crossline from them.
- Members are told not to go on the Internet to read websites that are critical of TEAM LIFE, though they are encourage to go to pro-TEAM LIFE websites.
- Members are told not to talk to those who quit the business, because they are losers and quitters who no longer have the dream.
Those who have broken free from the grips of an MLM like TEAM LIFE know that they were in a financial or business cult. This may come as a shock to those TEAM members reading this post. “How dare you categorize us as being in a cult!” they might respond. I have only one thing to say to them, “Then stop acting like you’re in a cult!”
I wish there was a story I could relate or a phrase I could say that would instantly lift the TEAM LIFE fog from a member’s mind. Unfortunately, it doesn’t exist, so we’ll have to continue sharing these kinds of stories from former TEAM members. Thanks to Enough! for sharing!